Posted 2 years ago
According to Yahoo News…..Here are this week’s winners and losers in Hollywood:
10. Lionsgate and Summit’s magic movie “Now You See Me” stays in the top ten earning $2.8 million. The unexpected hit featuring a plethora of talent from Jesse Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson to Morgan Freeman has earned $169.5 million at theaters.
9. Seth Rogan’s apocalyptic comedy “This is the End” drops three spots earning $5.8 million in week four. Made on an estimated $32 million budget, the Sony/Columbia picture has earned more than $90 million at theaters.
8. Kevin Hart’s second turn at a stand-up comedy film, “Let Me Explain” was another hit for Summit this weekend earning $17.5 million. It’s now the fifth highest-grossing stand-up film ahead of his 2011 film. At the least, it should pass the gross of Martin Lawrence’s 2002 stand-up which earned $19.2 million at theaters.
7. “Man of Steel” drops two spots and 45% at theaters this week earning $11.4 million. In its fourth week, the reboot, which cost Warner Bros. an estimated $225 million, has earned $586.8 million at theaters.
6. “White House Down” may have only dipped two spots at theaters in week two with $13.5 million, but the Channing Tatum action flick will need much more than that if it wants to hit its estimated $150 million production budget. The film isn’t performing well overseas with foreign sales only accounting for little more than 35% of its $67.9 million box-office earnings. For what it’s worth, at the same point, similar film “Olympus Has Fallen” was only narrowly ahead of Tatum’s film with a domestic gross of $55 million.
5. Instead, even Brad Pitt’s zombie thriller “World War Z” earned more than Tatum’s thriller with $18.2 million in its third week. The film, which had production delays and saw its production budget raise to north of $200 million, according to a Vanity Fair cover article, is doing well at theaters. “WWZ” has earned $366.2 million worldwide.
4. With another animated feature out, “Monsters University” fell 57% this week earning $19.6 million in its third week. The prequel to the 2001 movie has earned $400.5 million at theaters.
3. The dynamic combination of Sandra Bullock and Melissa McCarthy in “The Heat” continues its monster performance in week two earning $25 million. The film, which cost an estimated $43 million to produce has brought in $93 million for Fox in two weeks.
2. “The Lone Ranger” may have came in second overall at the box office this weekend, but it was a big hit for Disney with only $29.4 million over the course of three days. Over the long holiday weekend, the film earned $48.9 million domestically, far short of the projected $70 million analysts expected. So far, the $215+ million dollar film has earned $73.2 million worldwide.
1. It was a despicably awesome weekend for Universal’s yellow minions. The return of the funny little yellow characters in “Despicable Me 2″ earned more than the opening of “Monsters University” with $82.5 million. Worldwide, the film has already earned $293.2 million. It should surpass the worldwide total of Pixar’s film in no time. All this on an estimated budget of $76 million — low for an animated feature.