With funding from an Improvement grant from the North Platte / Lincoln County Visitors Bureau, the Lincoln County Department of Roads placed nearly 50 directional signs along State Farm Road, Fort McPherson Road and Banner Road, starting at the junction of State Farm Road and Highway 83 and continuing on through to the Dawson County line.
When originally conceived in 1913, the Lincoln Highway had no actual route. Early planners chose local farm-to-market roads to create America’s first transcontinental highway. In Lincoln County, a lack of bridges over the North Platte River and the sandy soil coming down from the Sandhills on the north meant that the hard-bottomed roads south of the South Platte River were the best to be had. This route already had a long, rich transportation history, at first being the route of the travelers along the Oregon and California trails and later the Pony Express. Numerous historical markers exist along the route, and it takes travelers past the Fort McPherson National Cemetery and the statue commemorating the historic Fort McPherson.
The signage project should increase travel along the route.