The state treasurer’s office is hosting a series of events throughout Nebraska to help reunite residents with their unclaimed property.
The treasurer’s office says it has returned more than $6 million in property to rightful owners so far in 2013. The amount represents nearly 10,900 claims.
State treasurer Don Stenberg says in a statement that his office is holding more than $125 million of property for more than 350,000 Nebraska residents, former residents, or their heirs.
There are nine scheduled outreach events between now and January:
- Buffalo County Fair, Kearney, July 25-27
- Scotts Bluff County Fair, Mitchell, August 7-10
- Nebraska State Fair, Grand Island, August 23-September 2
- Husker Harvest Days, Grand Island, September 10-12
- World Day on the Mall, Pershing Center, Lincoln, September 19
- Applejack Festival, Nebraska City, September 21-22
- Fall Home and Garden Expo, Omaha, October 25-27
- Kearney Gateway Ag Show, Kearney, November 20-21
- Northeast Nebraska Farm Show, Norfolk, January 16-17
Residents can also visit the Treasurer’s website at www.treasurer.org or call the Unclaimed Property Division at 1-877-572-9688.