Fire Damages Apartment on Southeast Community College Campus

Posted 6 months ago

By Scott Carlson

southeast-community-college(AP) — Fire, smoke and water have damaged an apartment in a residence hall at a Beatrice college campus.

The fire was reported shortly after 9:30 p.m. Monday at Southeast Community College. No injuries have been reported.

Beatrice Fire Capt. Jeff VanWinkle says most of the damage was caused when a sprinkler system activated.

Investigators say a resident of the apartment had begun heating some cooking oil but then left the apartment to visit another student. VanWinkle says the oil caught fire. Flames spread to cabinets and a vent above the stove.

VanWinkle says some students went to a local motel because of the hall damage, which was estimated at between $25,000 and $30,000.