Report: Smoke Inhalation Killed Elderly York Couple

Posted 11 months ago

By Associated Press

apt.-fireYORK, Neb. (AP) — York County Attorney Candace Dick, who also serves as the county coroner, says smoke inhalation killed an elderly McCool Junction couple who died in a house fire last month.

The investigation into the deaths of Charles and Juanita Bailey, both in their 80s, is now closed.

Neighbors noticed smoke coming from the Baileys’ home near McCool Junction in southeast Nebraska on the morning of Nov. 2.

Arriving firefighters found a small fire in the home’s living room and the Baileys’ bodies in a bedroom.

Investigators believe the fire started accidentally overnight and was just smoldering when neighbors arrived.