Child Dies from Infected Rat, Family Sues Petco

Posted 10 months ago

By Associated Press

petco(AP) — Lawyers representing a San Diego family have filed a lawsuit against Petco Animal Supplies Inc., saying a 10-year-old boy died from rat-bite fever contracted from a male rat purchased at one of the national chain’s stores.

Attorney John Gomez told The Associated Press on Tuesday that his firm filed the lawsuit in San Diego County on Monday seeking an unspecified amount for the suffering endured by the Pankey family, whose son, Aidan, died June 12, 2013, hours after being rushed to the hospital with severe stomach pains.

The San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office has confirmed the cause of the boy’s death was an infection from a rat.

The retailer in a statement expressed its condolences. Petco says safety is a top priority and it was looking into the matter.


  • WeeTodd

    Why would ANYBODY want a rat for a pet?

    Current score: 1
    • me

      Because they make amazing pets…that’s why! Dont knock it til you try it!

      Current score: 0