Electrical Cord Blamed for Grand Island Fire

Posted 4 months ago

By Scott Carlson

GRAND ISLAND, Neb. (AP) — Officials say a fire that destroyed a building in downtown Grand Island was caused by an electrical cord failure.

The fire on Sunday started on the building’s main floor. Grand Island Fire Chief Cory Schmidt says it was caused by an extension cord from a fan that was plugged into a surge protector.

The building was home to several businesses, including Ron’s Transmission, Shady Bend Builders and J&J Thrift Store.

Total damages estimates aren’t yet available, but most of the building is considered a loss.

Authorities say one firefighter suffered minor injuries fighting the blaze, which was reported about 8 p.m.