According to NPHS Principal Scott Siegel, at around 1:26 p.m., smoke was reported in the hallway that connects the Commons area to the Athletics Halls.
The smoke did not trigger the fire alarms at the school, but still prompted administrators to contact the North Platte Fire Department.
Firefighters arrived and determined that there was no danger to students or staff, and determined that the smoke was caused by an electric wire or electric motor.
Students and staff were placed “On Hold” and were not allowed to leave classrooms or the gym, while fire personnel investigated to identify any further risks.
The hold was lifted at around 1:52 p.m.