Melissa Sechrist says a cup of spare change spilled onto her seat in Moore, Oklahoma, last week, and the scalding-hot pennies came into contact with her leg. She tried icing the wound, but she went to a hospital over the weekend after the pain didn’t subside.
Sechrist said the coins caused third-degree burns on the back of her thigh. She says it’s still painful to walk, sit or lie down because of the injury.
According to the National Weather Service, the heat index was 104 degrees on the day Sechrist suffered the burns.